I believe that our economy is strongest when we build it from the bottom up. You can see this approach in my proposals for tax policy, schools, and human services.
I believe that we need a sturdy foundation for prosperity. To build that sturdy foundation, workers need a voice in their workplace. They need a strong voice in workplace policies and to ensure that wages and benefits support a thriving community, including higher demand for goods and services.
Also, I served in Lansing during the blatant attacks against organized labor during the last decade. I witnessed, firsthand, the elimination of contract rights that allow unions and employers to require that workers benefiting from union representation pay for that representation. This limitation on the right to contract, often called right to work, has weakened our labor unions. I also witnessed a litany of other attacks on collective bargaining. And, if elected, I will work to:
- repeal laws forbidding contracts with mandatory payment to the union for representation in grievances and contract negotiations
- repeal laws forbidding public employers from collecting dues on payroll
- repeal laws weakening protections in the tenure act that ensure job and retirement security for educators
- oppose budget language that requires schools to bid out and attempt to privatize services in the schools
In addition, I will propose or support the following pro-labor ideas:
- Banning and/or limiting the use of non-compete clauses. Non-compete clauses weaken our economy by stymieing the labor market and creating complicated litigation
- budget language, such as rules for MPSERS payments to require payment based on total expenditures rather than payroll, that encourage public employers to keep employees in house
- attack mis-classification, an attempt by some employers to represent their employees as independent contractors in order to escape unemployment, health care, and other obligations
- fix our unemployment law by making the system more user friendly and less likely to accuse citizens of fraud with no basis